Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Deltoids: The Other White Meat

As a contributor to this new fitness blog (which will rank up there with "windsurfing" and "calculus" on the list of "Things I Thought I'd Never Be Associated With"), I plan on representing the following boot camp demographic:

1. The person who values sleep even more than a pint of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and believes that being awake at 5:30 AM is only for Diane Sawyer, the paper boy and creepy opossums.
2. The person who checks off the "I promise not to drink for 4 weeks" box when signing up for boot camp while simultaneously crossing your big toe with your pointer toe and thinking "Pshyeah-right."
3. The person who has a limited knowledge of cooking, let alone cooking healthy foods, and by "limited" I mean "nonexistent."

Welcome, MeanRachel Demographic. I will be your voice on this blog.




My history with Austin Adventure Boot Camp starts, as most sagas do, on a dark and stormy night...at 5:30 AM. I started boot camp in January 2007, exactly one week prior to The Ice Storm of 2007 (those of you in Austin at the time will remember what I am talking about). To this day I don't remember why I enlisted, but I think it was some sort of impulse buy, like purchasing a lip gloss at the check out counter at Sephora because it has nice packaging. I'd lived a relatively active lifestyle by default up until 2006, as I rode horses for a living. This meant I was always moving, lifting, sweating and walking.

In March of 2006 I hurt my back and to make a long story short, I went from a very active career to a desk job. My one form of exercise, riding horses, I could no longer do physically. I spent several months recovering and by the end of the year, just before I signed up for boot camp, I'd been feeling restless and frustrated with sitting inside all day.

My first three days at boot camp were almost comical. Not only was it twenty-four degrees outside, but I was also waking up, putting on four layers of clothes, and then rolling myself out my door to go attempt to exercise. I spent most of the first week thinking about how cold I felt which in hindsight probably took my mind off how exhausted and weak I was.

For whatever reason, I kept going back. Week after week, month after month. I never missed a single day (definitely the key to staying in the camp is not allowing yourself to skip a day) and managed to whittle my mile time down from 11:15 to 7:37, a feat I hadn't even accomplished in high school track.

I took a couple of months off this summer, when it felt like I was exercising in a sauna. But now that the weather has turned, I'm planning on heading back. I don't expect to do it cheerfully (my name is MeanRachel after all, what did you expect?) but I will "tolerate" it (no one will ever let me live that line down).

Keep an eye out for me. I'll be the one wearing the Red Sox hat doing "The Pencil."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home