Friday, February 22, 2008

Gonna Fly Now

The song stuck in my head this week is the theme from Rocky. I was singing it all week long except for the hour we’re working out, but only because then I’m too out of breath to muster up anything more than a wheezing conversation. And while I’m on the subject of the hour work out can someone answer the riddle of “why does an hour of bootcamp feel like 120 minutes”? My conspiracy theory is that bootcamp instructors have some sort of magical control over time that actually stretches it into a suspended state so that we sweat and strain for hours before it snaps back to real time. But I digress.

“Trying hard now, it’s so hard now, trying hard now…” goes the song, totally summing up the early part of my week. I felt weak and was dealing with major muscle cramping thanks to dehydration. I know and I know and I know that we need to hydrate each and every day but I cannot remember drinking a single glass of water on Sunday. Please learn from my example and drink your water. It took days to recover and become well-hydrated again. And the only thing worse than running drills is calf cramps and running drills.

“Getting strong now, won’t be long now, getting strong now…”. During our training stations day I was happily shocked to discover that the easiest exercise for me, aside from regular crunches, was holding plank. What?? I’ve gone from barely able to hold plank for 15 seconds in my first bootcamp to an easy 45 seconds. I’m excited and can’t wait to see how I do next week! Add to it a midweek mirror check that showed me my stomach is looking smaller. It’s not anywhere close to flat, mind you, but smaller is wonderful! These little victories are what keep my motivation level high. It feeds my confidence and shows me that I can do more than I ever thought my body was capable of accomplishing.

“Gonna fly now, flying high now, gonna fly, fly, fly…” We’re two-thirds of the way through camp and I am feeling stronger, more energetic and my endurance is rising. My first bootcamp was the same way, by the end of the second week I felt great. I’m proud of working hard toward my goal of living healthfully. Sometimes results are hard to see, but my body feels different. Even something as simple as walking from my car to work is different; my stride is longer, my steps are faster and I move forward with a sense of purpose. Yeah, sure, I have more pounds to lose and a long road ahead but right now, this minute, today I'm happy. I’m happy with my commitment to exercise, happy with bootcamp and happy with my work-in-progress body. I dragged a bunch of my cute "skinny clothes" out of the closet and tried them on last night. No, they didn’t fit yet but I know they will and probably sooner than I imagine.
"There's no easy way out. If there were, I would have bought it. And belive me, it would be one of my favorite things!"
~Oprah Winfrey, on exercise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home