Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Inspiration...Where do You Find It?

How do you push yourself to keep going when the going gets tough? There will always be moments when you need some "oomph" to get you through a mile run or you need a metaphorical kick in the pants to get you out of bed or out of the office on time and to bootcamp. Where do you find inspiration to stick it out?

I look to other people for inspiration and motivation. I find myself reading Stephanie's story over and over and the other camper testimonials. I devour any and all first person accounts of overweight and out of shape women who not only conquered their goals but exceeded them. You can find personal stories on just about any fitness magazine website out there.

As you may have noticed, I also indulge in literary quotes that will encourage and support me in my battle of the belly bulge. I'm not ashamed to print out quotes that speak to me and tape them to my computer monitor at my office. Every day I read something that tells me that I can do this and will do this and will eventually win my quest to become fit. Even if I'm in a low point and don't actually believe I'm going to fit into my skinny jeans the words stick in my head and eventually work their way to my heart. And I start believing.

For others, music is an important part of your workout. Fitness Magazine recently posted a list of the top 100 workout songs on their website. From C+C Music Factory's "Gonna Make You Sweat" to "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira people are energizing their workout with just the right tunes. I know I find it easier to hold plank when I'm singing along (in my head, no breath for actual singing) to "Pump Up the Jam" by Technotronic.

The point is, when you need motivation, look for it. Ask for it. Search for inspiration, do whatever you need to do to keep moving ahead and staying true to your goals. We all need a boost every now and then. And you never know who may be looking to you for inspiration even on the days when you feel like you're simply plodding along.

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another."
~Helen Keller~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home