Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Enjoy Summer Treats Without Derailing Your Diet

Driving home from work in a car so hot I think I'm in the ninth circle of hell is one thing. Driving past exactly 5 snow cone stands is another. Really, people?? I can only resist so much temptation. So what summertime treats can I enjoy without derailing my diet plan?

"A half cup of ice cream is like a glass of milk and three pads of butter," says Lisa Dorfman, MS, RD, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. Okay, that leaves out ice cream. But frozen yummy goodness is what I long for during the hot Texas summer (that means April to October). So I grab the grapes. And freeze them. I adore frozen green grapes. Red seedless grapes are good too, but something about tart green grapes changes when you freeze them, bringing out the natural sugars. Try 'em. They're excellent.

You can also slice bananas into little chips and freeze them, too. Not only are you getting helpful potassium but the banana flavor pops out crazy good when frozen. If you really want to get creative, freeze a few tablespoons of chocolate chips. Have a handful of banana chips with five or six chips. C'mon...five or six little chips won't hurt. And the tiny taste is enough to satisfy without wrecking your healthy eating for the day.

Watermelon! Do I really need to say any more? And cantaloupe, peaches and strawberries. Not a fresh fruit person? Sugar free Jello has saved me from more than one attack of the munchies. Want a savory snack instead of a sweet one? Go for a celery stalk with a teaspoon or two of all natural peanut butter. Have a few almonds, cashews and peanuts. Throw in some raisins if you like.

I'd much rather get my kicks trolling the Austin Farmer's Market for fresh summer finds that are good for me and taste great than test my running ability trying to chase down the ice cream truck. You know the one, it plays "Turkey in the Straw" off key over and over and over while driving sloooooowly through your neighborhood. Hey, now there's an idea for a new twist on my work out: pace runner for the ice cream truck.

"Every diet needs a little wiggle room."
~Jello~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home