Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Piano Run

Some of you know that I take piano lessons, which I feel is good exercise for my fingers. I have chubby fingers. Well, the exercise for my fingers part is not true but I do have chubby fingers.

On Friday night when I was having dinner at Waterloo Ice House, I couldn't help but notice that there was some sort of video footage running on CNN showing a young girl with a piano and they were giving out awards for the CNN "Heroes" of 2007. I made a mental note to look up the show later because I was curious as to who was getting an award for being a hero with a piano.

Since I have been on a 12 month news purge, I apparently have missed some actually interesting news bits like this one. An 18 year old girl named Kayla Cornale from Ontario developed a science fair project a few years ago linking piano keys with letters of the alphabet in hopes of helping teach autistic people. Her cousin was autistic and Cornale noticed how the girl was talented at memorizing lyrics of songs and connected with the piano. So she put a letter on each of the main 26 keys of the keyboard and started working with her on how to "spell" words by using the sounds of each key. She also designated some of the lower keys on the keyboard to make chords of emotion, so her cousin could express her various emotions.

Long story short, it worked and her cousin started to actually learn how to spell and could figure out the alphabet. It's really pretty incredible how it seems like such a simple idea, but one that is so very innovative.

Who knew a science fair could be so worthwhile. My foam-ball solar systems certainly never made any difference.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home