Friday, November 09, 2007

I Just Want A Runner's High

I came across this news story today, about a recent study that found that a "runner's high" can be good for your heart. I'm sure everyone's heard of the infamous runner's high: the heady, king-of-the-world feeling you get sometimes during or after finishing a run. According to studies, your brain releases chemicals called endorphins that make you feel happier and euphoric.
I guess I have no choice but to believe in the legend of the runner's high -- I sure as heck feel euphoric when I stop running. But that usually has more to do with being able to collapse on the ground and breathe again and less to do with endorphins and my brain synapses. I know that during a run I never feel euphoric. In fact, my mind thinks of the opposite when I run like "If that car hit me, I at least wouldn’t have to run the rest of this mile," or "Why on earth am I doing this?" I certainly have not experienced a runner's high while actually running, and if I ever did, I would immediately assume that I had gone unconscious. The only true runner's high I get these days is from watching a Nike commercial while eating a bag of Doritos.
So knowing that, I have to find other ways to entertain myself while running. A lot of people like to listen to music while they run and sometimes I do too. But I also get kind of frustrated with carrying the albatross of an MP3 player, especially if a song I'm less-than-thrilled with comes on or if I want to skip to another song. It seems like such a huge effort while running to press the fast-forward button on an iPod -- as if that's going to knock off seconds from my world record-breaking mile time. Instead while I'm running I often try to meditate to the point where I no longer feel like I'm running and am curled up in my bed under the blankets. I haven't fully achieved this yet, but don't worry, I'll let you know when I do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home