Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Sit, You Sit, Wall Sit

Wall sit. Why oh why do I have such a hard time doing the wall sit? This morning I was the only one in my camp having difficulty. Everyone else makes it looks easy but my body rebels completely during wall sit. I try my best but it all comes down to one thing: I slide.

I hold wall sit for mere seconds before my thighs start screamin' at me. If I'm really fatigued I get the leg shakes before I slide down the wall. It's like I suddenly lose all control of my leg muscles. My thighs are probably the most well developed muscles on my body but they just refuse to cooperate when we wall sit. {Side note: that does not bode well for the state of the rest of my muscles}.

So what's the trick to this exercise? I press my lower back into the wall. Heck, I press my entire back into the wall. If my feet were any more firmly planted I'd be a tree. Or at least a shrub. I even palm the wall hoping that I'll mysteriously develop Spidermanesque powers and be able to squirt super-strength adhesive from my wrists. Unfortunately I still end up in a heap at the bottom of the wall. I have wall sit impotence. I need Wallagra.

I know it's a good thing that I have an exercise that challenges me. It used to be pop squats. After that it was squat thrusts. Who am I kidding? Squat thrusts are still difficult. And if you were in my very first boot camp you'd know that I couldn't jump rope. At all. At least not without wrapping it around my ponytail. In time wall sit will become easier although I doubt that it will ever be easy.

"Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top."
~Paul Coffey~

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
But, does the shaking ever stop?!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

I sure hope it does. I'll be happy just to stay up and not slither down the wall like a lizard with heat stroke.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home