Saturday, April 12, 2008

Snack Attack!

We've all had one of those days when you've had a great work out, been true to your healthy eathing and are feeling awesome up until the moment you see your co-workers chomping down a handful of potato chips or devouring fresh cookies. Tiff's Treats you are still my Waterloo. What to do when the snack attack hits?

I discovered this week that a bit of drained tuna in water on a rice cake isn't so bad when it's topped with salsa verde. And I've eaten sugar free Jello with a sploosh of fat free whipped topping, too. It's sweet enough to satisfy me when the candy machine has been calling my name. Peanut M&M's used to be my afternoon treat until I compared the nutrtional value and realized I was eating almost the exact equivalent of a McDonald's hamburger. It's true. P'nut M&M's and a Mickey D's burger each have the same calorie content. The M&M's have 4 grams more fat, a gram less of carbs and far less protein but far higher sugar.

These days I'll go for a high protein, low fat & low cal option and make a small bowlful of edamame. I like mine unshelled, so it takes longer to eat. I do use a bit of soy sauce as a condiment but I have to be cautious with sodium so it's more of a dash than a soaking.

It's a bit tricky working out what snack item is best for your needs. Sticking to a healthful eating plan doesn't mean giving up all good tasting foods, though. It's more of a challenge to find something that will satiate my taste buds but it isn't an impossibility. What works for you? Leave me a comment with your fav guilt-free snack.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger esSDee said...

YAY Healthy snacks! Before I found out I was allergic to nuts I would love a spoonful (tablespoon) of peanut butter or a handful of cashews (oh cashews I miss you!) Now I like (cause I can't help it, I will never LOVE a rice cake) Lundberg rice cakes, Sweet green tea with lemon. They are a little sweet and have a nice crunch not the usual bland cardboard rice cake. (gluten free, wheat free, vegan treats sweetened with cane juice btw)
OH and a small glass of chocolate rice milk. (I'm allergic to cow milk too) But Choco rice milk is better I think.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Hmmmm...I'm totally checking out the Lundberg rice cakes cuz a sweet green tea lemony flavor sounds enticing. Haven't tried rice milk but I do like chocolate soy milk.

10:41 AM  
Blogger esSDee said...

I'm allergic to soy. Heh. I found today that Lundberg makes an Apple Cinnamon flavor!! PSYCHED!!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home